Print Friendly, PDF & Email

For individuals not eligible for a Social Security Number, navigating finances, taxes, work, and other areas of life can be challenging. Fortunately, the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) program is available to help in several ways. For example, once you’ve received your ITIN, you can file tax returns, open bank, Stripe, Amazon, or PayPal accounts, build your credit, claim child tax credits,  and set up a Tax ID for a new business. However, the application process and dealing with the IRS can be extremely difficult, while an incorrectly submitted application can result in significant processing delays or outright denial.

If you need of an ITIN for yourself and/or your family, we’re ready to help you navigate the process.

  • Act as your Power of Attorney (POA) during the ITIN approval process.
  • Meet with you via video and certify your identity documentation in accordance with IRS regulations.
  • Prepare the required IRS documentation, including Form W-7, for your review.
  • Submit your completed ITIN package to the IRS as your POA.
  • File any required responses to the assigned IRS Officer on your behalf.
  • Notify you via our secure portal once your ITIN approval is received.
  • Optional assistance with tax return preparation, LLC formation, EINs, etc. (additional fees).
Q. What is an ITIN?

A. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number that’s provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS issues ITINs to those who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who don’t have and aren’t eligible to obtain a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Q. Why do I need an ITIN?

A. A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) must be provided on tax returns, statements, and other tax-related documents. Plus, a TIN must be on a withholding certificate if the beneficial owner is claiming any of the following:
  • Tax treaty benefits (other than for income from marketable securities);
  • Exemption for effectively connected income; or
  • Exemption for certain annuities.
Q. How do I apply for an ITIN?

A. A person can file Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), with his or her federal income tax return. In addition, original documentation or certified copies from the issuing agency must be included to prove the individual’s identity and foreign status.

Q. How long does it take to get an ITIN?

A. The IRS says that applicants will receive a letter from the agency assigning their tax identification number usually within seven weeks if they qualify for an ITIN and the application is complete.

Q. Do I need to renew my ITIN?

A. If you need to file a tax return but your ITIN is expired or will expire before you file, the IRS advises you to submit your renewal application as soon as possible to prevent potential delays in the processing of your return.

Q. What Documents are Acceptable as Proof of Identity and Foreign Status?

A. The IRS accepts several document types as proof of identity and foreign status to obtain an ITIN. Each document must be current and contain an expiration date. The agency will take documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. These documents must also show your name and photograph and support your claim of foreign status.

Q. Can I use an ITIN to open a U.S. bank account?

A. Yes. You can open a bank account with an ITIN.

Q. What does a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) do?

A. A CAAs is authorized by the IRS to help an applicant apply for an ITIN. An Acceptance Agent can certify all identification documents for primary and secondary taxpayers, as well as passports and birth certificates for dependents. This saves individuals the time and expense of mailing original documents to the IRS.